Saturday, December 29, 2007

Won't Eat

For about a week, we have been able to get Presley back on all of her supplements with no side effects. However, yesterday she had a bit of diarrhea and this morning she refused to eat her breakfast. I tried to give her just canned food, then just kibble, but she turned her nose up at both. She was even hesitant to eat any treats.

Her poops are solid, so I don't know what's going on. Presley and Diesel are going to Steve's house for the night. Maybe Daddy can talk her into eating her food.

We had a really nice time at the park yesterday. Presley spent a few minutes alone wandering in a small patch of woods in the middle of the park. Maybe she ate something that upset her tummy. Of course, she didn't want to leave when it was time to go. She just laid in the middle of the field watching us walk/run away.

Before we got to the Jeep, we played on the playground equipment. Diesel loves to climb up the platforms to the top of the jungle gym. Bristol climbed a couple platforms but wasn't too keen on crossing the swinging bridge. Presley finally joined us but I didn't encourage her to climb on anything. She just sniffed underneath, probably looking for something to nibble on.

This is really getting old but I'm trying to be patient and not take my frustrations out on Presley. It's like trying to put a puzzle together but I don't have all the pieces. Presley loves her food, so she must be feeling bad to not want to eat. Sometimes I think she's getting a little senile in her old age. She's going to be 10 in a couple weeks. Most of the time she's very predictable and then out of the blue she does something new that makes me wonder where that came from.

Like last night, for example. Scott and I were watching a movie ("Knocked Up", cute movie), while the girls all slept in the living room. Presley woke up at one point and kept trying to get my attention. She would put her head on the couch and stare up at me until I pet her or talked to her. Then she got up, grabbed a toy and brought it over to Scott. He threw it a few feet away, she retrieved it and brought it back to him. This went on about three times until she settled back down on the cushion and fell asleep.

I'm not sure why I think this was unusual. Dogs play fetch, right? It just seemed strange at that moment. Presley would normally be asleep at that time of night. Maybe she was happy to see Scott because he's been working so much. Maybe she just needed to stretch her legs for a few minutes.

Who knows. I shouldn't try to over analyze too much. Sometimes I forget that she's a dog, not a human.

No comments: