Friday, November 2, 2007

There's something about that rake

I was raking the leaves (again) today and Presley wasn't paying too much attention at first. Then, little by little, I could see her out of the corner of my eye getting closer and closer, and then sneaking up from behind. When she got close enough, she would lunge for the rake. If I held the rake up above her head, she would bark in her deepest Rottweiler bark.

I told her to step back or go lay down or go say hello to Harley, but she just kept lunging after the rake. At one point, she took a running start but I was a little too quick. Before I knew it, Presley was flying past me and falling onto her side, on her left side.

She looked startled and a little worried as she struggled to get up. She was having a hard time righting herself because she didn't have a leg on that side to help push her up. Finally she got up and sheepishly came over to me. I consoled her and told her to take a rest. (I can't tell her to take a break, because break sounds too much like rake). She went over to where Diesel was hanging out in the dirt that she had just dug up and I continued raking.

After resting for a bit and conspiring with her sister, Presley came back strong and now Diesel wanted a piece of the action. Before I knew it, they tag-teamed me and now both girls had a piece of the rake. They pulled me around the yard for a bit as I tried to pry the rake from their mouths.

And then, CRACK! Half of the rake broke off into Diesel's mouth and I was left with a handle and half a rake. That seemed to satisfy both of the girls and they went back to the dirt pile. I was finally able to finish raking, with half a rake.

No comments: