Sunday, October 14, 2007

Better each day

I'm not sure if Presley is just milking the attention or if she is really uncomfortable, but she had me up all night again last night. It's strange because she slept almost all day into the early evening. Then when I go to bed, she's fidgety.

This time, we went into the spare bedroom at around 1AM; I slept on the couch and she slept on the cushion next to the couch. I had to keep my hand on her the whole night. If I moved my hand away, she would sit up or stand up and fidget. I'm sure her right side is now sore from laying on that side all the time and her left side definitely must be sore from the surgery.

Diesel joined Presley on the cushion; it's the same length as the couch so there was plenty of room for both of them. It's so cute how Diesel wants to stay close to her sister and Presley is actually letting her stay close. Usually Presley will growl or move away.

As I tried to sleep on the couch with my hand hanging off the side, I kept thinking that it really doesn't matter if she's playing me for the attention. I'm just glad she's still around for me to pet and love.

The morning was pretty uneventful. After breakfast at 7:30AM, we went back into the bedroom and slept until noon. She's definitely mama's girl.

In the afternoon, we went in the backyard and Presley went right into her dog house. I had grabbed the camera on the way outside and I think she thought it was something else, like the nail clippers.

Scott joined us outside and she came out of her house to say hello. Then she sat in her spot in the sun for a bit. Diesel sat nearby. I snapped a couple photos. Then she got up, pooped and sat in the dirt in the back of the yard where she and Diesel like to dig. At first I thought she was going to start digging, but she just walked around the dirt, then plopped down. Diesel sat nearby and I snapped a couple more photos. I was a little worried that she would get dirt in her stitches, but she looked so content that I didn't want to disturb her. She LOVES to dig. I can imagine her figuring out a way to "go to work" after she's feeling a little better.

I think the pain patch is wearing off. Presley yelped a few times today when she was getting up or turning around. We're going to take her to the vet tomorrow to get the patch removed. It's actually stapled to her back and it is supposed to be disposed of properly. It looks like a piece of muslin. Maybe it is covering something underneath. Hard to tell.

Diesel had a pain patch that looked like a clear piece of plastic that was actually stuck to her skin like a big self-adhesive band aid. When it wore off, we just peeled it off and threw it away.

Right now Presley is laying under my feet as I sit on the couch in the living room. She is a little fidgety. She just tried to scratch her neck on the part where her fur is shaved away, a little too close to her stitches. Actually, I think Scott counted 35 staples. I imagine that her skin is a little itchy where the staples are and as the fur grows back. I gently scratched her skin and she looked up at me with a thankful smile.

She looks very alert today. That's another reason why I think the pain patch is wearing off. She doesn't have that drugged out look.

Now Presley moved into the spare bedroom on her cushion. She has positioned herself so she can see me from where she is laying. Maybe the TV is too loud or she just wants to be alone. But she also wants to keep an eye on mama and papa.

No comments: