Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Still recovering

Presley has been very tired the last couple days. I took the girls for a car ride yesterday, which she seemed to like but wasn't overly excited. After hanging out in the backyard for a few hours and sitting in the sun, when she came into the house I noticed that her gray-ish fur was really hot where she was shaved. The black part of her fur was warm, but not hot. That seemed really weird. Scott thought maybe she got sun burnt. Could be.

I haven't heard the girls cough in the last couple days. So today the girls played with Harley (the neighbor's dog) and Presley was jumping all over him and growling at him, just like the old days. She even chased him into his yard. I'm shocked at how fast she can run.

After I took Diesel for a long walk, I took Presley for a short walk to the corner. Someone had dropped some bread in the street and Presley scooped up a piece for herself. She dropped it as soon as I told her to.

She had been a little picky for her last few meals, but she gobbled down tonight's dinner. I didn't give her any supplements or meds. I haven't seen what her poop looks like, so I don't want to over-medicate if she doesn't really need anything.

Besides I'm not sure how to give her the meds. This morning, I hid a small pill in one of the treats that Scott had drilled out. The pill is really small anyway, but I thought I'd outsmart her by making it even smaller. So I cut it in two. Well, that was useless because after she took the treat in her mouth, she lightly bit it in two and spit it out. Then she ate the treat and left the pill on the ground.

Tomorrow morning we have to take Presley to OVRS for her blood tests to check her white blood cell counts. We could take her to Nine-Tel (her regular vet) but I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about Dr. Georgiev. I'm mad that she misdiagnosed Presley in June and we wasted so much time treating her for arthritis. Presley was in pain all summer and it makes me angry.

I can't totally fault Dr. G because she was partially relying on us to tell her what the problem was. Granted, Presley did have a swollen wrist back in June, but after more than month of not responding to the meds, I had to ask Dr. G to take x-rays to find out if something was broken or if something else was going on. That's when she found the arthritis in Presley's wrist and toes, but she really didn't have a good way to treat it, other than painkillers and Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

Thanks to my friend and co-worker Scott Vacek, we found Dr. Bannink. After trying a couple acupuncture treatments with no results in two weeks, Dr. B discovered the Osteosarcoma right away.

Anyway, it's very frustrating that Presley just can't tell me what's wrong. Or maybe she has been telling me but I haven't been listening.

No comments: