Thursday, October 25, 2007

Life as a tripod - Great day!


Presley had a great day today. This morning she tested her digging skills in the backyard and actually did very well. She took a nosedive into the dirt a couple times, but just snorted the dirt out of her nostrils, then kept on digging. After stopping to inspect the little hole she made, she looked really proud of herself.

I tried to fill in some of the dirt that Diesel had dug out because her hole was so huge, and Presley barked and tried to take a bite out of the metal shovel. Just like the old days.

Presley also said "hello" to our neighbor's dog Harley through the fence. Presley likes to bark her hellos to Harley.

She may have a bit of an upset stomach. She was eating some grass while we were outside and had a little trouble with her poops because after she took a big dump, she was squatting all over the yard, but very little else was coming out. I have some meds I can try to give her if she has diarrhea or vomiting. (More on that below.)

Just before dinner, I was going to take Diesel for a quick walk around the neighborhood. Presley had been hanging out in her dog house for most of the afternoon, but when she heard us at the gate, she came out. I asked her if she wanted to go for a walk and she looked at me as if to say, "Of course I do, mama!" So I got her leash and the three of us walked four houses down the street.

Before heading back, we rested for a bit so Presley could catch her breath because she was coughing quite a bit. I was afraid she wouldn't want to turn around to go home, but when I told her it was time to head back, she did. She "walks" very fast. It's actually more of a gallop.

When we got home, she hopped up the back steps (forgoing the ramp) and retreated to her bed in the living room. As she groomed herself, Diesel and I slipped out the back door to finish our walk.

When we got back, I prepped dinner for the girls. I thought since Presley liked the cottage cheese so much that I could mix it with her meds and kibble. My bad. She would not eat any of the cottage cheese, so I couldn't get her to take her meds. She would only eat after I gave her a fresh bowl of kibble and if I hand fed her. Her tummy must be a little upset if she won't eat cottage cheese.

I tried to hide the pills in the homemade pill pockets, but she would bite into the treat and drop all of the pieces out onto the floor. Then she'd eat just the treat, only if it didn't have any residue from her pills. She's too damn smart!

No comments: