Wednesday, October 31, 2007

CBC Normal

Presley's complete blood count (CBC) was normal today and she weighs 80 pounds. Scott and I took her to OVRS to have her white blood cell count tested and thankfully she is absolutely normal. This is great news because (if I understand all of this correctly) the chemo weakens the immune system and the white blood cells are crucial to fighting off bacteria, infection, etc.

A normal CBC means she does not have to take antibiotics or any other medication, which is great because I can't get her take her pills anyway. However, she really should take her supplements, but I'm not going to force her at this point. Short of shoving the pills down her throat, I'm out of ideas. She's onto the trick of hiding the pills in peanut butter, Cheez Whiz, cottage cheese, and yogurt. And she's figured out the pill pockets.

One of the vet techs recommended covering the pills in cream cheese and Scott suggested hiding them in American cheese slices, but this is getting out of hand. One of the supplements is about the size of four quarters stacked up. Another supplement is a horse pill (i.e. quite large). And another supplement is a powder. So I'm really at a loss right now on how to give these to her.

Anyway, to celebrate the good CBC report, when we got home we went outside and dug up the yard. Actually, I tried to fill in the holes but the girls were digging them as fast as I could fill them. Presley took a few nosedives into the dirt, but it didn't stop her from doing her "work". And she really gave the shovel the "what for". She kept barking at the shovel and trying to bite it. Her nose, tongue, body and paws were covered with dirt, and she couldn't have been happier.

Later in the afternoon, I took Diesel for a nice walk. Then I took Presley down the street for a little walk. She only wants to walk toward 9 Mile. When I try to go the other way, she just sits down in protest. At the end of the block, she rested for a few minutes as I stroked her fur and hugged her. I am so proud of her. She is such a fighter.

About an hour ago, I was cuddling with the girls on the living room floor. At one point, while I was giving Presley a light hug and whispering in her ear, she started making little noises with every breath. Scott heard the noises and said she was purring. I think he's right because when I stopped hugging her, she would tap, which means that she doesn't want me to stop. So I'd hug her some more and she'd start purring again. It almost sounds like a growl but it's really light. She is so amazing.

We have to get Presley's CBC tested again next Wednesday. Then the following week she has her second round of chemo. Overall she's doing very well, which makes me feel a bit more relieved about having her leg amputated. At times I still struggle with her amputation, especially at times when she isn't feeling well. Luckily, those days are becoming fewer and farther between.

No comments: